Advantages and disadvantages of Corona.
- Due to corona formation, the air surrounding the conductor becomes conducting and hence virtual diameter of the conductor is increased. The increased diameter reduces the electro-static stresses between the conductors.
- Corona reduces the effects of transients produced by surges.
- Corona is accompanied by a loss of energy. This affects the transmission efficiency of the line.
- Ozone is produced by corona and may cause corrosion of the conductor due to chemical action.
- The current drawn by the line due to corona is non-sinusoidal and hence non-sinusoidal Voltage drop occurs in the line. This may cause inductive interference with neighboring Communication lines.
Register now to use it for free in Your Browser. No Need to download. Lots of resources and Step by step tutorials