Advantages and disadvantages of Corona.
Corona effects on communication lines.
Corona has many advantages and disadvantages. In the correct design of a high voltage overhead
line, a balance should be struck between the advantages and disadvantages.
Below are the Advantages and disadvantages of Corona.
- Due to corona formation, the air surrounding the conductor becomes conducting and hence virtual diameter of the conductor is increased. The increased diameter reduces the electro-static stresses between the conductors.
- Corona reduces the effects of transients produced by surges.
- Corona is accompanied by a loss of energy. This affects the transmission efficiency of the line.
- Ozone is produced by corona and may cause corrosion of the conductor due to chemical action.
- The current drawn by the line due to corona is non-sinusoidal and hence non-sinusoidal Voltage drop occurs in the line. This may cause inductive interference with neighboring Communication lines.
Reference and bibliography: Power System Analysis, By VK Mehata, AK Mehta.
EasyEDA: A Powerful Free Circuit, Simulation & PCB Design Tool
Register now to use it for free in Your Browser. No Need to download. Lots of resources and Step by step tutorials