Voltage and Power Equations of a DC Motor
Voltage Equation of the DC Motor
Input Voltage provided to the motor armature can perform the following two tasks:
- Obtain control on Back E.M.F “Eb” of the Motor.
- Provide supply to the Ohmic IaRa drop.
V = Eb + IaRa …………………. (1)
- Eb = Back E.M.F
- IaRa = Armature Current X Armature Resistance
This is above related is known as “Voltage Equation of the DC Motor”.
Power equation of a DC Motor
Multiply both sides of Equation (1) by Ia , we get,
VIa= EbIa +Ia2Ra ………. (2)
- VIa = Input Power supply (Armature Input)
- EbIa = Mechanical Power developed in Armature (Armature Output)
- Ia2Ra= Power loss in armature (Armature Copper (Cu) Loss)
Related Electric Motors Posts
- Servo Motor – Types, Construction, Working, Controlling & Applications
- Brushless DC Motor (BLDC) – Construction, Working Principle & Applications
- Stepper Motor – Types, Construction, Operation & Applications
- Motor Starter – Types of Motor Starters and Motor Starting Methods
- Three Phase Motor STAR/DELTA Starter Wiring
- Direct Online Starter – DOL Starter Wiring Diagram for Motors
- Why We Need to Install a Starter with a Motor?
- What is Motor Efficiency & How to improve it?
- Cable Size Calculation for LT & HT Motors
- Voltage And Power Equations of a DC Motor
- AC Drive – Working and Types of Electrical Drives & VFD
- DC Drive – Working and Types of DC Drives
- Speed Control of DC Motor – Voltage, Rheostatic & Flux Control Methods
- Electric Motors Symbols