Cable Size Calculator in AWG
As we have already discussed that how to select the proper wire size for Electrical wiring installation in detail under the topic of How to determine the suitable size of cable for Electrical Wiring Installation with Solved Examples (in both British and Si System). Now we are here to present the Wire and cable size in AWG calculator for you.
- You may also check the Wire & Cable Size Calculator (Copper & Aluminum) in AWG (American Wire Gauge)
Calculating Wire/Cable Size formula for single Phase Circuits
Wire Circular mils = 2 x ρ x I x L / (%Allowable Voltage drop of source voltage)
Calculating Wire/Cable Size formula for Three Phase Circuits
Wire Circular mils = √3 x 2 x ρ x I x L / (%Allowable Voltage drop of source voltage)
- ρ = Specific resistance or resistivity of Conductor
- D = Distance in Feet (One way) i.e. ½ the total circuit length
- I = Load Current
Note: the Value of ρ = Specific resistance or resistivity of Conductor is used here for copper and aluminum is 12.9 and 21.2 respectively at 75°C (167°F).
- Also check the “Good to know” Section right after the calculator
Enter value, And click on calculate. Result will show the required quantity.
Good to Know:
If the wire size is greater than all gauges (i.e 0000 is largest one size of wire in), then electrical engineer measure it in CM, kCM or MCM instead of inches, because inch is a small unit of these kinds of wires. Where;
A circular mil (CM) is a unit of circular area with a diameter of one mil (one thousandth of an inch). It corresponds to 5.067×10-4 mm².
1000 CM (circular mils) = 1 MCM or 1 kcmil = 0.5067 mm², so 2 kcmil.
It is a unit for referring to the area of a wire with a circular cross section.
- Advance Voltage Drop Calculator
- Electrical Wire & Cable Size Calculator (Copper & Aluminum)
- Voltage Divider Rule – Calculator, Examples & Applications
- Resistor Color Code Calculators – 3, 4, 5 & 6 Bands
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering Calculators