How to Convert kVA to Amps? Calculator and Examples
kVA to Amps Calculator
The following kVA to Amps conversion calculator will convert the apparent power “S” (i.e. kilovolt amperes or kVA) into current “I” in amperes “A”, kiloamperes “kA”, milliamperes “mA “and megaampere “MA”.
To calculate the amperage rating of a device from the kVA rating, just enter the value of apparent power in kVA, voltage in volts, select power supply system (single phase or three phase) and hit the “Calculate” button to the get the result of current in A, kA, mA and MA.
- Amps to Watts Calculator & Conversion – DC/AC (1 & 3 Phase)
- Watts to Amps Calculator & Conversion – DC/AC (1 & 3 Phase)
kVA to Amps Conversion Formulas & Equations
Single Phase kVA to Amps Conversion
I = (S x 1000) ÷ V
Amps = kVA x 1000 ÷ Volts
Three Phase kVA to Amps Conversion
Conversion with Line to Line Voltage (VL-L)
I = kVA x 1000 ÷ √3 x VL-L
I = (kVA x 1000) ÷ 1.732 x VL-L
Conversion with Line to Neutral Voltage (VL-N)
I = kVA x 1000 ÷ (3 x VL-L)
- S = Apparent Power in Volt-Amps
- V = Voltage in Volts
- I = Current in Amperes
- VL-L = Line to Line Voltage in 3-Phase Circuits
- VL-N = Line to Neutral Voltage in 3-Phase Circuits
- Electric Energy Cost Calculator – Cost of Energy Calculation
- Energy and Power Consumption Calculator – kWh Calculator
How to Convert kVA to Amps?
Keep in mind that you must know the value of apparent power in kVA and voltage to calculate the current rating in amperes of a machine.
Single Phase kVA to Amps Calculation
Current in Amperes = Apparent Power in kVA x 1000 ÷ (Voltage in Volts)
I = (kVA x 1000) ÷ V
Find the current in amps if the RMS voltage of a 3kVA transformer is 120V.
I = (3kVA x 1000A) ÷ 120V
I = 25 A
Three Phase kVA to Amps Calculation
Calculation with Line to Line Voltage
Current in Amperes = (kVA x 1000) ÷ √3 x Voltage in Volts
I = kVA x 1000 ÷ (√3 x VL-L)
Calculate the current in ampere of a 100kVA rated transformer having the line to line voltage of 240V.
I = (100kVA x 1000 ÷ (1.732 x 240V)
I = 240.5 A
Calculation with Line to Neutral Voltage
Current in Amperes = Apparent Power in kVA x 1000 ÷ ((3 x Voltage in Volts)
I = kVA x 1000 ÷ (3 x VL-N)
A three phase 180kVA rated transformer having the line to neutral voltage of 480V. Calculate the rating of current in amperes.
I = (180kVA x 1000) ÷ (3 x 480V)
I = 125A
Related Electrical and Electronic Engineering Calculators:
- Circuit Breaker Size in Amps Calculator
- Electrical Wire & Cable Size Calculator (Copper & Aluminum)
- Wire & Cable Size Calculator in AWG
- Advance Voltage Drop Calculator and Voltage Drop Formula
- Power, Voltage, Current & Resistance (P,V,I,R) Calculator
- Required Value of Resistor for LED’s Circuit Calculator
- 3, 4, 5 and 6 Band Resistor Color Code Calculators
- RMS Voltage Calculator
- Voltage Divider Rule (VDR) Calculator
- Battery Capacity Rating Calculator
- Electricity Bill Calculator – How to Calculate your Electric Bill – Examples