What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a 3-Φ transformer over a 1-Φ transformer
Advantages of Three Phase Transformer over a Single Phase Transformer
Following are the advantages of a 3-Φ transformer over a 1-Φ transformer.
- Less costly
- Lesser weight
- Less in size
- Less time required to assembling
- Require less space
- Deliver more power
- Higher efficiency
- Easier to install
- Easy transportation and installation
- Easy to repair
- Easy assembling
- The cost of a three phase transformer is lesser than the three single phase transformers having the same rating.
- Finally, it is easy to obtain a single phase power supply from a three phase supply, while it is not possible to get a three phase power supply from a single phase power supply. Same is the case for single phase and three phase transformers.
- Advantages of Three Phase System Over Single Phase System
- Difference Between Single Phase and Three Phase Power Supply
Disadvantages of Three Phase Transformer over a Single Phase Transformer
Following are the disadvantages of a 3-Φ transformer over a 1-Φ transformer.
- Higher cost of standby units.
- More costly and repairing inconveniences.
- In case of fault or failure of a three phase transformer, the power supply shutdowns in the whole connected load areas. Hence, the definite and immediate power restoration is not possible.
- A three phase transformer can’t be operated temporarily in open delta connection, while it is possible in three single phase units transformer (in case of fault at single unit).
- The whole unit needed to be replaced in case of failure, while in case of single phase transformers, only the fault ones should be replaced with a new one.
- In case of failure of one single phase transformer (where three single phase transformers are used instead of a single three phase transformer), the remaining two single phase transformers still supply the power to the load points, while it is not possible in case of failure of a three phase transformer.
- What is a Transformer? Its Construction, Working, Types and Applications
- Types of Transformers and Their Applications
- Application of a Transformer
- Autotransformer – Its Types, Operation, Advantages and Applications
- Current Transformers (CT) – Types, Characteristic & Applications
- Power Transformer Protection & Faults
- Difference between Power Transformers and Distribution Transformers?
- Advantages of HVDC over HVAC Power Transmission
- Advantages of 50Hz Transformer over 60Hz Transformer