Wiring of the Distribution Board with RCD , Single Phase,
(from Energy Meter to the main Distribution Board) Fuse Board Connection.
Main Distribution Board or Fuse Boards
Main Distribution Board or Fuse Boards ( Consumer Unit) usually contains three main units.
They are as follow:
- DP = Double Pole MCB (The main switch)
- RCD (Also DP) Residual Current Devices.
- SP = Single Pole MCB ( Circuit Breakers and Fuses)
it is used to control and distribute electric supply (safely to electrical appliances) around your home. The following diagram is showing single phase wiring of distribution board with RCD. More details of each sections are below the fig.
Click Image to enlarge
1) DP = Double Pole MCB (The main switch)
This allows you to turn off and on the electric supply to your home because this is the main operating switch to control electric supply. remember that immediately switch off the main switch in emergency i.e. in electric shock, fire or while working on main board. You can use also multiple mains switch if you has more supply unit i.e storage heater etc. so then use a separate Fuse board.
2) RCD (Also DP) Residual Current Devices.
A (RCD) residual-current device, or (RCCB) residual-current circuit breaker , is an electrical wiring device or switch that disconnects or trip a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. And then instantly disconnect the electricity (in dangerous conditions).
3) Circuit Breakers
Circuit breaker is a device which switch off and on electric supply at normal ( and abnormal) condition). These are automatic protection devices in the Main switch board or fuse-box that switch off a circuit if they detect a fault. the size of the fuse and Circuit Breaker are similar, but it give more and more protection. You can reset it again if the trip ever.
You may Also read
- Single-Phase Electrical Wiring installation in a Multi-Story Building
- Three Phase Electrical Wiring in Home (How to Connect Loads in Single Phase & three Phase Supply System)
- Three-Phase Electrical Wiring installation in a Multi-Story Building
- Wiring of the distribution board , Single phase, from Energy meter to the main distribution board (Without RCD)
- Electrical Wiring
China's Largest PCB Prototype Manufacturer, with 290,000+ Customers & 8,000+ Orders Per Day
10 PCBs Price: $2 for 2-layer, $15 for 4-layer, $74 for 6-layer