2-Way Switching Connection – Electrical Wiring Diagrams
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What is Two Way Switching ?
Two way switching connection is used to control electrical appliances and equipment like fan, lighting points etc from different places by using 2-way switches. The most common use of 2-way switching connection is staircase wiring where a light point can be controlled from two, three or even many locations. No matter what is the current position of two way switch (ON or OFF), the connected appliance like bulb can be switch ON / OFF by pressing the button.
Construction & Working of a 2-Way Swicth
2-Way switch is also know as Single Pole Double Through (SPDT). The basic construction and working principle of 2-way switch is illustrated in (fig 1) below.
How to Wire a 2-Way Switch
Below is a given schematic wiring diagram (fig 2) that shows how to wire a 2-way switch and control a light bulb from two different places.
- The same purpose can be achieved by using the following two way switching connection in fig 3 as well.
- Connect the Earth Wire to the connected electrical appliance as well as switches as per electrical regulation in your area.
How to Control Light from Two Places by using 2-Way Switch?
The following two way switching connection can be used for the same purpose as mention above in fig 1 i.e. to control a light point from two different places by using 2-way switches
How to Control One Lamp From Three Places by 2-Way Switches?
In fig 4, the wiring diagram shows how to control a light point from three different places by using two 2-way switches and an intermediate switch.
Fig 5 shows the same connection to control a light point from three places by using different symbols.
Two Way switching to control Light from Two Places in Staircase
As we discussed above that the most common use of 2-way switches is to control a light point from different places like upper and downstairs i.e. lower entering door and upper door. This circuit is shown below:
How to Control a Light from Six Places
Below is a given wiring diagram which shows how to control a light point from six different places by using two 2-way switches and four intermediates switches. Note that you may control even more light bulbs by adding more intermediate switches in the middle of the circuit.
Applications of 2-Way Switching
- It is used to control electrical equipment and appliances from two, three or even more different locations by adding more intermediate switches.
- It is also used in staircase wiring connection where a light point can be control from two or more different places.
- It is used in large area rooms having two or more entry and exit doors and gates.
- The main purpose of 2-way switching is to control an AC or DC electrical appliance, device or equipment especially light points from two places.
You may Also read:
- Stair case wiring circuit diagram, OR How to control a lamp from two different places by two ,2-way switches?
- How to control One Lamp from three different places? (by using two, 2-Way switches and one intermediate switch)
- How to control one lamp from six different places by using two, 2-way switches and four intermediate switches?
- What is Intermediate switch, its construction, working principle and using in different electrical wiring (lighting etc) circuits?
- Basic Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home, 1-Phase & 3-Phase Wiring
- Room Air Cooler Wiring Diagram # 2. (With Capacitor marking and Installation)
- Three Phase Electrical Wiring Installation in Home
- Single-Phase Electrical Wiring installation in a Multi-Story Building
- Three-Phase Electrical Wiring installation in a Multi-Story Building
- Star and Delta Connected Lighting Loads – Electrical Wiring Installation
- Testing Electrical and Electronics Components and Devices with Multimeter
China's Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 300,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Per Day
Inside a huge PCB factory