SUPERMESH Circuit Analysis | Step by Step with Solved Example
Solved Example of Supermesh Analysis
80 = 10i1 + 20(i1–i2) + 30 (i1–i3)
80 = 10i1 + 20i1 -20i2 + 30i1-30i3
80 = 60i1 – 20i2 – 30i3 ….. → Eq 1.
30 = 40i3 + 30i3 – 30i1 +20i2-20i1
30 = 70i3 – 50i1 +20i2 ….. → Eq 2.
I3=15ix+i2 ….. → Eq 3.
i2 = -6.15 A
i3 = 2.6 A
V3 = 104 V.
Summary of Supermesh Analysis (Step by Step)
- Evaluate if the circuit is a planer circuit. if yes, apply Supermesh. If no, perform nodal analysis instead.
- Redraw the circuit if necessary and count the number of meshes in the circuit.
- Label each of mesh currents in the circuit. As a rule of thumb, defining all the mesh currents to flow clockwise result in a simpler circuit analysis.
- Form a supermesh if the circuit contains current sources by two meshes. So that, the supermesh would enclose both meshes.
- Write a KVL (Kirchoff’s Voltage Law) around each mesh and supermesh in the circuit. Begin with an easy and will fitted one node. Now proceed in the direction of the mesh current. Take the “-“ sign in the account while writing KVL equations and solving the circuit. No KVL equation is needed if a current source lies on the periphery of a mesh. So, the mesh current is determined and evaluated by inspection.
- One KCL (Kirchhoff’s Current Law) is needed for each supermesh defined and can be accomplished by simple application of KCL. in simple words, relate the current flowing from each current source to mesh currents.
- An additional case can be occurred if the circuit contains on further dependent sources. In this case, express any additional unknown values and qantitis like currents ir voltages other than the mesh currents in terms of suitable mesh currents.
- Arrange and organize the system of equations.
- At last, solve the system of equations for the Nodal voltages such as V1, V2, and V3 etc. there will be Mesh of them. if you find difficulties to solve the system of equations, refer to the above example.
Free Circuit Design Software: learn to use Editor quickly and easily
Cheapest PCB: 10pcs 2-layers 10cm×10cm only $8.21, 3-day build time, 100% E-test