Resistor, Capacitor and Inductor in Series & Parallel – Formulas & Equations
The following basic and useful equation and formulas can be used to design, measure, simplify and analyze the electric circuits for different components and electrical elements such as resistors, capacitors and inductors in series and parallel combination.
Resistance in Series & Parallel Equations
Resistance In Series:
When two or more than two resistors are connected in series as shown in figure their equivalent resistance is calculated by:
REq = R1 + R2 + R3 +… Rn
Resistance In Parallel:
when the resistors are in parallel configuration the equivalent resistance becomes:
- REq is the equivalent resistance of all resistors (R1, R2, R3…Rn)
- Series, Parallel & Series-Parallel Connection of Solar Panels
- Series, Parallel and Series-Parallel Connection of Batteries
Delta Δ to Wye Y (Pi to Tee) Conversion:
From Delta (Δ) to Wye (Y) Interconnection:
From Wye (Y) to Delta (Δ) Interconnection
For more details and solved examples, check the Star to Delta and Delta to Star transformation.
Capacitance in Series & Parallel Equations
Capacitance In Series:
When the capacitors are connected in series configuration the equivalent capacitance becomes:
Capacitance In Parallel:
The capacitance sums up together when they are connected together in a parallel configuration
CEq = C1 + C2 + C3 +… Cn
- CEq is the equivalent Capacitance of all capacitors (C1, C2, C3…Cn)
- What is the Objection to have Light Bulbs & Lamps Connected in Series?
- Which Bulb Glows Brighter When Connected in Series and Parallel & Why?
Inductance in Series & Parallel Equations
The calculation of total Inductance of inductors inside a circuit resembles resistors.
Inductance In Series:
When the inductors are in series as shown in the figure, their inductance adds up together.
LEq = L1 + L2 + L3 +… Ln
Inductance In Parallel:
In parallel combination, the equivalent Inductance of the inductors is given by
- LEq is the equivalent Inductance of all inductors (L1, L2, L3…Ln)
Related Formulas and Equations Posts:
- Basic Electrical Engineering Formulas and Equations
- Basic Electrical Quantities Formulas
- Power Formulas in DC and AC Single-Phase & Three-Phase Circuits
- Losses in Electrical Machines – Formulas and Equations
- DC Generator Formulas and Equations
- Power, Voltage and EMF Equation of a DC Motor – Formulas
- Synchronous Generator and Alternator Formulas & Equations
- Synchronous, Stepper and AC Motors Formulas and Equations
- Induction Motor & Linear Induction Motors Formulas & Equations
- Transformer Formulas and Equations
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering Formulas & Equations
- Electrical & Electronics Elements & Symbols