How to Wire a Light Switch? Controlling a Lamp by Single Way Switch
In today basic home electrical wiring installation tutorial, we will show how to wire a light switch to control a light point by one way or single way switch.
We will use the basic SPST (Single Pole Single Through) switch in this tutorial to control a lamp / bulb from single location.
Before go in details, we have to show the basic construction and operating mechanism of single way switch which is shown in fig below:
Below is a simple step by step tutorial with schematic and wiring diagram which shows how to wire a light switch to control the bulb/lamp from single place with the help of one way or single way switch?
- Single Way Switch (SPST = Single Pole Single Through) x 1 No
- Lamp (Light Bulb) x 1 No
- Short pieces of cables x 3 No
This is just like a series circuit i.e. all the components are connected in series. Just connect the Neutral wire directly to the light bulb and then connect the light bulb to the switch through middle wire. And then connect the live wire to the switch as shown in fig below. Fig given below shows the basic connection of light switch and their position i.e. when the switch is OFF, the circuit acts like an open circuit and the bulb won’t glow. To switch on the bulb, switch S1 must be closed to complete the circuit and glow the light bulb.
In fig below, schematic and wiring diagrams of light switches are shown which shows how to wire a light switch?
Also note that home wire colors may vary according to different areas. In addition, always use and connect the earth wire (direct naked wire to switches, and electrical appliances from earth link in the distribution board to reduce the risk of electric shock and hazard) which is not shown in the figures above.
Good to know:
- Switches and fuses must be connected through line (Live) wire.
- Switches connection in series is not a prefer way to wire home appliances. parallel or series-parallel wiring method is more reliable.
- Less wires and cables are required in this kind of wiring connection.
Related Electrical Wiring Installations tutorials:
- How To Wire Switches In Series?
- How To Wire Switches in Parallel?
- How To wire Lamps in Series?
- How To Wire Lamps in Parallel?
- How to control each lamp by separately switch in parallel lighting circuit?
- Three Phase Electrical Wiring Installation in Home
- Electrical Wiring of the Distribution Board with RCD
- How to control one lamp from six different places by using two, 2-way switches and four intermediate switches?
- How To Wire Single Phase kWh meter